Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The History of Hannah





Okay, these sculptures require a little explanation. Often when I am reading to the girls for school, I will give them either play dough or paper and crayons/markers/colored pencils to create what we are reading about. They listen better because they are intent of what they are creating and they have to listen to know WHAT to create. This particular day (which was the first day of school), we were reading about History, the definition of History, and some examples. This is Hannah's play dough sculpture of her own History. The lady on the bed? Well that is me, of course. And the baby I am holding is her. The dude on the right is Daddy, see the big smile on his face? And then on the left we have the doctor. I tried to explain that the nurses do all the work, but she called him the doctor. I thought it was beautiful, and she will remember what history is because she created it with her own two hands as we read. This is the beauty of homeschooling.

No comments: