Saturday, March 29, 2008

"YES" DAY! (or stress day????)

"Daddy, can I ride in your new duffle bag?" ..............."Why, YES, you can!"
"Mom, can I have a popsicle AND a poptart for breakfast?"......................"YES, let me get that for you."


Okay, so here's the story of "YES" day. I read on a blog of a friend of a friend about how she decided one day to try not to say "no" to her children for the whole day, unless it was something she had to say "no" to. Now, I dont know this particular lady, but I have been reading her blog quite regularly, and I must say, she has become like a mentor for me. She seems to be so wise in the things she says. I imagine her to be like a Saint, so patient and loving in all her words to her children. A wonderful, homeschool mom of 5 children, she is. We seem to have so much in common... okay, not the patience...or the always kind and loving responses...but, I am working on that. So I sat back and thought about how often I say "no" to our children just because I dont want to have another mess to clean up, or because I can do it myself faster, or just because it is easier to say "no". Sometimes, I think I say "no" just out of habit. So I showed her blog to JJ, and we decided last night that today would be "YES" day! What fun! So when we woke up this morning I reminded him about this very special day. And here is how it went...


(Let me point out first that we never told the children it was "YES" day, that would have ruined the day.)


Josh was the first to wake up, and I think he was in on the secret, cause after he had his customary glass of chocolate milk, he asked..."Mommy, can I have a popsicle for breakfast?" JJ and I look at each other, and he has that "HA! What are you going to say to this one" look on his face. So I looked back at Josh and said,with my teeth clinched "Sure, honey, go sit at the table and I will get it for you". Then 5 minutes later..."Mom, can I have a poptart with my popsicle?" And again, I said "yes" and handed over the goods. Guess what, having popsicles and poptarts for breakfast didn't kill him, and he still has all his teeth.


Next, as we prepared to travel to Denver tohave Abby's blood drawn, Hannah wanted to know "can I fix up some snacks to take with me in case I get hungry". Now believe it or not, many times the answer to that innocent question would be "no", because I know that food and crackers, and such are going to be spilled and crushed all over the floor. This time, however, I said "yes" with a big smile on my face. And guess what, she didnt spill a thing.


Then Bailey, "can I take my poptarts with me in a bag?"..."Yes"


Jaydon, "mom, can you stop at the bookstore on the way out of town so I have a book to read on the way?"..."yes"


As the day went by, I must say I found myself smiling more than ever. In fact, at REI a couple of ladies said to me with a smile "Are they all yours?" I said "yes" and then they said "you look so calm, how do you do it?" I said "the key is...YES!"


Of course their are things each day that we need to say "no" to, for their safety and protection, but when I took a step back, I realized that I could probably say "yes" to about 85% of their requests without spoiling them, going broke, or putting them in any danger, and if I were to say "yes" more often, I would be less stressed out, and they would all be a little happier.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

well Yeehaw! That is so encouraging! You just never know how the Lord will use something. I must dispell your vision of "saint", tho! :) I would venture to guess our friend Laura is much more saintly!

Anonymous said...

Hi: We sure are enjoying seeing the pictures of the kids and hearing how everything is going. You are in our thoughts and prayers as you prepare for another good bye for the latest deployment. JJ you make your family so proud including us. We will try to do better at staying in touch. Be safe and we will all look forward to your safe return. Lots of love to all and hugs and kisses to all the kids. Love Mike and Shirley (big brother)